discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Northeast Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

11-07-2017, 03:13 Post: 107424
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Randy, just as in any other war, the trick is to know your enemy and use it to your advantage. The other point I'm sure you already know is the advantage of elevation.

We have big problems with coyotes up here. We have developed special tactics for dealing with them.

The fastest method is shooting, it involves baiting them below a vantage point. The trick is that coyotes are both very cautiuous, and possess great sent abilities. However, they quickly get used to human presence, this will work to your advantage.

Find a nice hill with good, very long, lines of sight. Start by laying bait, already killed ground hogs work well, at the base of the hill, towards where the coyotes live. Then scratch out a good prone shooting spot on top of the hill. Develop a walking trail that leads past the bait station to the hilltop. Then start laying out bait, only add new bait when the old is gone.

The coyotes will quickly learn to ignore your scent and eat the bait. In the beginning they will go past the bait to follow your scent to the hilltop and back. Never walk past your shooting position. After a short time the coyotes will stop going to your shooting position, because neither you or any food are there.

Then pick a moonlit night to start the hunt. You may, depending on the numbers, want to invite some other shooters. Shoot only from the prone and choose your targets before they even arrive. The shooter far left takes the animal far left and so on. A coyote will hear you even whisper from an amazing distance.

A heavy barrel .223 or similar works well since you want a very flat trajectory to negate windage and elevation adjustments. You will have to fire very quickly after the first shots so start with the furthest animals, or wait for them to all come in to feed.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-07-2017, 08:07 Post: 107428
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Randy:
I use a Johnny Stewart CD player with CD's. The coyote pup distress and rabbit distress tracks seem to work good. You want to shoot in an open area of over 100 yards and sit in a clump of trees. I have my best luck just before dusk or during sunrise. They can smell you over a hundred yards away so watch the wind direction. I use my Colt AR-15 with 20, 30 or 40 round clips, target model chambered in .223 for shots up to 250-300 yards. For fast moving shots I use my Colt 4X tactical scope so you can follow them while running. For real long shots, I use my Browning single shot 1885 chambered in .22-250 with a Harris Bi-pod and Leupold Vari-X III with 6 1/2-20 power. I use that for shooting straight down dike trails up to 400 yards.

In Michigan you need a fur bearer's license unless on private property where the critters are causing property damage. In Michigan you can also hunt after dusk with rim fires only. You may want to check out regulations in your area.

For nights I have an H&R single shot chambered in .17HMgn. Only use Hornandy ammo. Other brands don't hold true. I also have 8X Russian Nightvision Binoculars.

If you find some fresh roadkill, hang it on a rope from a tree several feet from the ground so they need to struggle to get it. On a good moonlite night about 75-100 yards from an outbuilding works good. You can pick them off like flies.

Your welcome to borrow my caller and CD's. I can UPS it to you. I won't part with my guns though! Sounds like fun, if you have beer, could stop by for a visit!

11-07-2017, 13:02 Post: 107429
greg_g

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Well you can spend $50 to $500 on a game caller, and $800 to $13,000 for a night vision riflescope - then spend your nights hunkered down in the cold.

Or - you could buy a $150 llama. I was losing 2 sheep a day till I bought the llama on July 3rd. Lost two more sheep that MONTH, and none since.

//greg//

11-07-2017, 17:56 Post: 107433
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

greg_g
I've never heard of that one. Do the llama taste bad, stink or kill the coyotes?

11-07-2017, 22:51 Post: 107434
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Llama, like donkeys, are very serious about herd protection, they will lure in, and then kill coyotes.

Most of the farms around here that still raise sheep have donkeys. They will drive the herd to a hilltop or high point in the pasture at sunset and keep them there till dawn.

I watched a donkey get a coyote years ago. A jake donkey hobbled around in a fake a limp and made funny sounds till the coyote came in close, then he spun around and gave him a rear hoof in the side of the head. The coyote flew about 10 feet and flopped down in a heap, it never got up again, but the donkey walked over to it and stomped it some more just for good measure.

I'd like to know where you can buy a $150 Llama though, even ones well past breeding up here sell for thousands as living lawn ornaments.

Best of luck.

11-08-2017, 03:45 Post: 107436
AnnBrush

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Its a bit off the topic, but a mate of mine had an ostrich that used to look after some sheep I had at his property in South Africa. Fab watchdog, would kick the heck out of anything that came near the sheep. He used it to prevent stock theft of chickens (which was rampant) after it kicked a donkey that was in the same paddock. The donkey had it's scrotum ripped open and the testicals were hanging out for all to see. After it was castrated he had a sangoma (witchdoctor) spin a story to the local tribesmen about how the donkey got too close to the chicken run and that was the result. Stock theft dried up overnight, I guess the would be thieves did not want to be robbed of their manhood.

On the coyote issue, whatever you decide to do it might be nice to let the neighbour know you will be blasting away one night.

11-08-2017, 13:34 Post: 107444
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

I talked to the game warden about and he knows what I am up to. He also said no spot lights allowed. I would imagine that applies to night vision devices. Don't have any neighbors.

11-08-2017, 18:28 Post: 107445
greg_g

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Llamas have a genetic disposition to dislike ALL canines. They will chase/bite/kick/and generally make intruders unwelcome. They're quite respectful of us two-legged critters though.

The predators that were crippling/killing my sheep apparently gave up and moved on to easier pickin's. Cuz even the sheep in unguarded pastures aren't being bothered anymore

//greg//

11-08-2017, 23:23 Post: 107468
Ducati996

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

After what I just heard I guess a couple of male chimpanzies could do the job effortlessly !!

In case it was missed in the news, two male chimpanzies attacked and mutilated a large male human being...The guy survived but half his face is missing, along with a foot, and groin, and dragged him around like a toy...I applogize for bringing this up, but I see chimpanzies in a new light altogether. They could wipe out
just about anything, including a small town...So Sad ~~

Ducati

01-05-2018, 15:18 Post: 120099
Skunkhunter

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Chief, I am new to this forum but understand the coyote problem. My wife runs 50 ewes and we have become surrounded by coyotes. She makes sure the sheep are in the barn at night so we haven't lost any yet, but it is just a matter of time. If you want a fast primer on hunting coyotes try reading; Coyote Hunting, the complete book from head to tail by Phil Simonski. A strange thing about coyotes though; the higher the numbers the lower the reproduction. When their numbers go down the number of pups in their litters go up. You could probably find a trapper if they get to be a real problem.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Northeast Forum

Thread 107296 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 1 | Chief 2 | DRankin 1 | Ducati996 1 | funchy 1 | greg_g 2 | harvey 2 | Iowafun 1 | Murf 2 | paulss 1 | plots1 1 | poolman67 1 | shortmagnum 1 | Skunkhunter 2 | yooperpete 2 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

How do you determine Shotgun S
Best dog for Bird hunting
Best shotgun for Pheasant Hunt
How get a newbie to love Skee
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Field Labrador Retriever Breed
F/S Beretta 687 EL Gold Compet
Once fired Win. AA Hulls

Active Subjects

How do you determine Shotgun S
Welcome Nachoman Hasta Luego N
Importing sling shots to my co
Beretta 687 EL Gold
Winchester AA hulls for sale
HULLS HULLS HULLS
28 Gauge and .410 Winchester A
28 Gauge Winchester AA Hulls -

Hot Topics

How loud is subsonic .22 ammo?
guns for self defense
Winchester AA once fired 12 Ga
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Kubota's RTV
Golf cart, ATV or Gator type v
Using an ATV to plow snow
Youth Christmas Gift/Gun

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ SERIOUS Coyote Problem
+ DAMN COYOTE
+ Bold Coyote

Most Discussion

+ Bold Coyote
+ DAMN COYOTE
+ SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Newest Topics

+ DAMN COYOTE