discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Northeast Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 11-05-2017, 02:08 Post: 107296
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

And I don't mean the orange colored diesel tractor type. My neighbor that I met just the other day told me that I had several dens of coyotes on my property. (gee........I wonder how he knows that???????......but that is another story)

The night before last, while at the ranch I went outside to "water the lawn" and I heard a coyote howling out by my barn that is about 100 yards from the house. I stood quietly and listened while looking if I could see him. He howled a few more times and then it seemed like the entire back hill side forest lit up with howls. So many that I would venture a conservative guess of at least 20 or more.

I have noticed a lot of droppings from them but never encounterd them until now. I had NO idea there were this many. It was like a dog kennel moved in! :O) Not exactly my idea of the wildlife I want to see on my property as they are very distructive; not so mention their nasty habits of feeding on the kids pets. Looks like its time to break out the Ruger .223 Ranch rifle or maybe the 25-06.

These criters are INCREDIBLY sneeky and tough to get a glimpse of much less get a shot at. These guys are very cunning and whilley. As soon as I put the spot light on them; the "coyote symphony" IMMEDIATELY went silent and I did not see a one of them. (not that I thought I would)

Any of you guys have any experience with getting rid of coyotes??? I am going to have a chat with the game warden and University of TN extension agent about this. I will also be working on a wildlife management plan with the NRCS in the mean time in which I hope to get some good info. about this. I would appreciate any tips or suggestions from those who have had to deal with this issue.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 11-05-2017, 07:03 Post: 107302
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

My brother chases these critters. They use 2-3 teams with pick ups and the marine radios to stay in contact. They do a couple each week. They usually have to shoot the critters on the run. Some of the shots are so long he has to lead by 30+ feet and try to at least knock em down for a kill shot. They have run some of these over 5 miles. Their ranges are huge. BTW he uses a 223 semiautomatic and burns a lot of ammo.

Me being basically a long range pecker would opt for a laser ranger and a heavy barrel varmit. 7mm08 or 308, hi quality target scope, hand loads with spt and boat tails set up on a high spot in the shade with a cool N/A beverage and go to work. BTW I like still shots for a clean 1 shot kill.

With your dens if you can find them. You might try smoking them out and executing them or drop in the poison gas cartridges. Which ever is easier for you morally. They are not dumb and will git the hint real quick. You will have to be real aggresive to win this battle.

11-05-2017, 11:57 Post: 107316
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

They are not hard to kill. I have dropped them with a .22 LR HP (under 75 yards of course).

11-05-2017, 16:52 Post: 107317
Iowafun

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Around here and in North Dakota, they hunt them with several dogs. Get the dogs chasing thm and then swap out the dog with a fresh one to wear the coyote down. Then, when you get a clean shot, you drop 'em.

You may be able to set up in a tree stand towards dusk and pick them off with a rifle. They'll get wary pretty quick, but some may move on if you keep it up.

11-05-2017, 21:46 Post: 107321
plots1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

The new 17. cal will work'em over pretty good to under a 100 yards.

11-06-2017, 02:41 Post: 107333
poolman67

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

I have about the same problem here in Arizona. I bought a "wounded rabbit" audio tape at a local sporting goods store. I put the tape in a boom box and get up on the roof of my shop so I can see the area all around my house. I wait until just before sunset and fire up the tape for just a couple minutes. This has resulted in a coyote meeting my 223, and his maker everytime. After a couple nights and good kills, the pack moves on down the road for at least a couple weeks, then they come back into my area again. It not only keeps them away for awhile, but also provides great fun. Try it, you'll like it.

11-06-2017, 07:35 Post: 107339
funchy

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Not to ask a stupid question, but have they actually done any harm ? Have you actually verified there the infestation your friend said was there?

Coyotes are a problem now because people shot ever wolf they could find. Rodents and other small animals have become a bigger problem because we kill off all the predators. Coyotes do kill certain pest rodents, insects, and rabbits. As long as they're not immediately threatening your livestock or pets, they might be doing some good. Just something to consider.

11-06-2017, 12:30 Post: 107383
paulss

SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Randy,

You could declare war on coyotes, bring in the Air Force, Army and Marines, bomb and napalm everything in sight and there would still be plenty of them left. They are extremely adaptive and the ultimate survivor. In the event of a nuclear holocaust I firmly believe that the only things to survive would be coyotes, feral hogs and cockroaches. A coyote living near humans would much rather eat dog/cat food or a cat or small dog than go through the trouble of chasing down a rabbit, mouse or rat. They are opportunists and will usually pick the easiest target.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you have a portable cd/cassette player (even better if you can detach a speaker and run it a distance from your set up) there are tapes that you can buy to call them in. Or you can buy a mouth call that is just as effective with a little practice. If you have a good vantage point, sit with the wind in your face and be ready. They will not stick around long. In areas with limited visibility, I find that a decoy helps keep their attention. There are a number of rabbit decoys available or you can use anything that looks reminiscent of an animal. I've even used a raccoon tail mounted on a stick. A length of mono fishing line attached will allow you to give it movement.

Good luck.

Paul

11-06-2017, 17:24 Post: 107409
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

I had another brain cramp on this. I'm ah thinkin a very good night vision scope might be in order also.

You will really need to check your hunting regs. Up here the DEC really frowns on any type of night hunting. We do have people that chase racoons, but I've never done that.

With some of the newlaws the DEC can confisticate anything you use in the comission of a game violation including your new pickup.

11-06-2017, 22:18 Post: 107419
shortmagnum

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Lion, There are two ways of thinking about lots of coyotes. Either they're a problem, or a great hunting resource. Many really get into setting up with their electronic or manual calls and take the challenge of bringing them in. If you are the type to get into the hunt, you could have months of fun.

If you're interested, below is a link to a company that has downloadable animal sounds. Lots of distress type calls. They can be written to a CD and played though most any personal DVD player or boom box. If nothing else, it's fun to listen to them.
Dave

Link:   Distress sounds 

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Northeast Forum

Thread 107296 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 1 | Chief 2 | DRankin 1 | Ducati996 1 | funchy 1 | greg_g 2 | harvey 2 | Iowafun 1 | Murf 2 | paulss 1 | plots1 1 | poolman67 1 | shortmagnum 1 | Skunkhunter 2 | yooperpete 2 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

How do you determine Shotgun S
Best dog for Bird hunting
Best shotgun for Pheasant Hunt
How get a newbie to love Skee
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Field Labrador Retriever Breed
F/S Beretta 687 EL Gold Compet
Once fired Win. AA Hulls

Active Subjects

How do you determine Shotgun S
Welcome Nachoman Hasta Luego N
Importing sling shots to my co
Beretta 687 EL Gold
Winchester AA hulls for sale
HULLS HULLS HULLS
28 Gauge and .410 Winchester A
28 Gauge Winchester AA Hulls -

Hot Topics

How loud is subsonic .22 ammo?
guns for self defense
Winchester AA once fired 12 Ga
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Kubota's RTV
Golf cart, ATV or Gator type v
Using an ATV to plow snow
Youth Christmas Gift/Gun

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ SERIOUS Coyote Problem
+ DAMN COYOTE
+ Bold Coyote

Most Discussion

+ Bold Coyote
+ DAMN COYOTE
+ SERIOUS Coyote Problem

Newest Topics

+ DAMN COYOTE