discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Firearm Laws Forum

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

08-27-2017, 23:25 Post: 89202
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 guns and doctors *urgent*

I read an interesting, thought-provoking article recently which wa written by a social-studies professor in Switzerland.

Switerzerland is an oddity in our overly politically correct world. Even though it has a fine, well-trained and skilled armed force, it is forbidden by it's constitution from sending them beyond it's borders, even for peace-keeping duty. Every fit and able man over the age of 18 must spend a period in the army, and then are part of the 'reserve' until they are too old to serve. Part of this 'reserve duty' means they must keep their service rifle in their homes and ready to go at a moments notice.

The gist of this article was about the movement in North America to disarm the common citizens. His theory to stop this was to promote shooting as a recreational activity and organized sport.

The logic being if it became a big business, with huge profits spread across the whole country, and deep roots in every small town, no politician would dare take away that popular source of income for so many people, range operators, gun shops, ammo. manufacturers, etc.

Although with politics being what it is today I personally wonder if maybe politicians just want to take away the guns so they don't get shot.

Best of luck.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-28-2017, 04:19 Post: 89204
JLHall

Filter by User

hey i did not mean to anger or insult anyone with this stat post. it appeared on my forum and i thought you all would get a smile.

the way i see it is even though i grew up with guns and enjoy them. they are tools. tools should only be used by competent sober operators trained in the use of said tools.

i also think any tool can do harm to person on either end.

i know some folks despise guns. wonder if they also hate crescent wrenches. husqvarna 55's easrwing claw hammers

08-28-2017, 09:14 Post: 89205
shortmagnum

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

"His theory to stop this was to promote shooting as a recreational activity and organized sport."

Murf, we have such a thing here and it was created by the government. It's called the Civilian Marksmanship Program. An excerpt from their website is below.

"The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. The National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (TITLE XVI) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety, Inc. (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP."

One can even buy guns from the US government through the CMP, especially M1 Garands and '06 Springfields, typically for half that on the open market. Any Vet can order one directly. Others are required to shoot a minimum amount with an approved CMP club prior to ordering. Granted, these are 50 and 100 year old technology, but when is the last time anyone thought they could buy a gun from Uncle Sam. Website below.

Link:   CMP site 

08-28-2017, 14:08 Post: 89206
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

The Swiss are very interesting people. Through my business travels, I've spent lots of time in that beautiful country and talked with many businessman. My favorite town in the world is Zermatt, located at the base of the "Matterhorn". There are no autos in that town and you need to ride a cogwheel train to get to it.

If you use the train system during the summer months, you will undoubtedly see lots of Swiss soldiers on their way to do military training (bootcamp). By law, every public building has an underground Nuke shelter. Every affluent businessman that I met also has one at his home. I think more Swiss die every year by avalanche than by doctors.

They are so meticulous that if they built a car they would also paint the undercarriage to match the car's finish.

In Michigan, I'm waiting for Jennifer Grandholm (our governor) to raise hunting license, etc. She just raised taxes on cigarettes to be the highest tax in the nation. I'm a non-smoker and don't care. She has raised taxes on everything to balance our budget. It hasn't worked. She is a Democrat and keeps spending. Hunting and shooting sports are very big business in Michigan, but I know politicans want to ban guns---no matter what. In Northern Michigan, schools are closed for opening day deer hunting. Our union workers (most are hunters and gun owners) are told to vote the Democratic ticket by their union leaders. So they are voting for the guys taking their rights away.

Glad to see that most of you guys are also pro-gun as I am. If you own a tractor, more than likely you are a common sense working person and have common sense ideas about guns.

08-28-2017, 19:02 Post: 89207
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Short, I had heard about that program, alas, like many other worthwhile things, is little known or used.

Yooper, they are interesting indeed.

Despite living in some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world, having an exceptionally high standard of living and very low inflation they unfortunately also have the highest teen suicide rate in the world.

No, they don't shoot themselves either, a cliff jump is apparently the favourite method.

Maybe it's just all those damn clocks going off that does it. (Stricly tongue in cheek.)

Best of luck.

08-28-2017, 23:57 Post: 89218
jkjordan

>Of course the reason for providing the data in the
>manner given was to make a point.

I think most people miss the point - it's a joke. Note the last lines: "Please alert your friends to this alarming threat. We must ban doctors before this gets out of hand." In fact, the first versions I saw were from "humor" mailing lists.

Most versions of this include this statement as well: "Statistics on lawyers were withheld for fear that the shock would cause people to seek medical aid."

Interestingly, all versions I've seen, even those from years ago, used exactly the same numbers, making the data itself suspect or suggesting that the numbers are seriously outdated. If, as suggested the numbers are "accurate and easily checked" why did no one ever check and update them? But considering that it's just a joke, who cares.

Being a joke, the numbers may even be made up and completely untrue, but from all evidence no one EVER checks!

But just as on this forum, I've seen it stir emotions and sometimes serious gun/anti-gun controversy. Some people even pass this on blindly with commentary meant to inflame.

Sadly, this type of tripe shows no sign of ever stopping. Note this web page on the gun/doctor subject from "Break the Chain - Stop junk e-mail and misinformation": http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/drguns.html

The site even has an interesting list of more internet nonsense:
http://www.breakthechain.org/jk.html

Note: even if we pretend the gun/doctor statistics are serious and the numbers are accurate, to put this into perspective a more useful list would include other accidental deaths such as from automobile accidents. Or (ack!) how about tractor deaths per tractor owner?

JKJ

08-29-2017, 04:51 Post: 89222
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hmmmmm, now I'm thinking, I wonder how many 'accidental deaths' are caused by a firearm after someone came home with a NEW TRACTOR.......

Mark, what happened with "How the heck am I gonna sneak this in the house?"?

Your still posting so I presume there was no near fatalities, Laughing out loud.

Best of luck.

08-29-2017, 09:46 Post: 89236
kwschumm

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

You know what they say, the best humor is that which contains an element of truth. This brings us back to square one I believe Smile

08-29-2017, 14:40 Post: 89339
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Hey Murf, Actually she wasn't too surprised.

We have about 1200 square miles of public land just across our back fence. If we lived on a lake that size and didn't have a boat we would be missing something. She agreed with the logic.

Here is another bit of logic: I shopped for small used 4x4's (like older jeeps and Suzuki's) and found out that if it carries a license plate it needs about $75 a month for insurance..... and that cost goes on forever.

The payment for the RTV is $175 a month and when it is paid off all I have to buy is fuel.

So I am using that 75 bucks a month to actually buy something with a re-sale value instead of throwing it into the coffers of an insurance company, never to be seen again.

08-29-2017, 19:35 Post: 89342
Murf

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Pretty sound logic Mark.

Here we have a few 'twists' in the process.

We have the ability to 'unbrand' a vehicle, such as after it has been written off, when it is re-licenced the title shows the brand as "unbranded" but it retains the VIN. Un-branded vehicles cannot be licensed for street use.

To make it further ponderous, we have a law called the "Off Road Motor Vehicles Act" which covers almost any motorized vehicle except those which are 'street legal'. It requires any motorized vehicle (except things like farm vehicles bearing a SMV) to be licensed and insured (liability only) if it is not operated on land the owners own land (rented or leased property is considered owned land).

This was as a result of so many people getting hurt and then sueing for their suffering, etc., even though the owner of the land on which they were riding didn't know they were there or allow it even.

Luckily it pretty cheap to insure a buggy though.

Best of luck.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | 2 | [ 3 ] | 4 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Firearm Laws Forum

Thread 88863 Filter by Poster:
AnnBrush 4 | Billy Passmore 1 | cutter 1 | DRankin 5 | FERRARI 2 | jkjordan 1 | JLHall 2 | kwschumm 1 | Murf 8 | ncrunch32 2 | RCA_TX 1 | shortmagnum 1 | StephenR 2 | Wildman1 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

How do you determine Shotgun S
Best dog for Bird hunting
Best shotgun for Pheasant Hunt
How get a newbie to love Skee
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Field Labrador Retriever Breed
F/S Beretta 687 EL Gold Compet
Once fired Win. AA Hulls

Active Subjects

How do you determine Shotgun S
Welcome Nachoman Hasta Luego N
Importing sling shots to my co
Beretta 687 EL Gold
Winchester AA hulls for sale
HULLS HULLS HULLS
28 Gauge and .410 Winchester A
28 Gauge Winchester AA Hulls -

Hot Topics

How loud is subsonic .22 ammo?
guns for self defense
Winchester AA once fired 12 Ga
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Kubota's RTV
Golf cart, ATV or Gator type v
Using an ATV to plow snow
Youth Christmas Gift/Gun

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns and doctors *urgent*
+ hunter s thompson...hostile?
+ God, guns, guts......and America
+ NJ Firearm laws for Air Soft Rifles?
+ For the hunters out there
+ Gun laws vs. Abortion laws
+ Whirlpool response on OK gun issue

Most Discussion

+ hunter s thompson...hostile?