discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Firearm Review Forum

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

01-23-2018, 00:26 Post: 120244
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Revolvers: SandW vs Ruger

If you read their bio, George Washington got them started in 1777. They have made most of the military stuff since the beginning and this new model really looks cool! I've handled a few of them at the gunshop and they fit like a glove. I like the added safety beyond the Glock thing! My wife also has a small Glock model 26 and she doesn't feel comfortable with its safety. It looks like an outstanding value with lots of reliability behind it.

As with all of them. Pick it up and get the feel of it before purchasing, definitely shoot it before buying to see if it is right for you.

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-23-2018, 05:20 Post: 120245
DenisS

Filter by User

I read up on Glocks that they've been dropped from a helicopter and didn't go off on their own; then that same gun was fired and went off as it was supposed to. I guess it depends on your comfort level. Some folks like the security of an extra safety, others would rather just be able to draw and shoot. I think it's all in the training. A well trained individual with a gun on safe will outshoot a thug with a gun without safety any day of the week.

01-23-2018, 10:15 Post: 120246
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

With a Glock I get concerned with it loose in a woman's purse stuffed with lipstick and chapstick tubes, etc. It should always be put in a sheath in those circumstances.

01-23-2018, 15:09 Post: 120247
DenisS

Filter by User

Those lipsticks.. you never know if they're gonna get into the trigger guard. Hey, I heard CIA made 1-shot lipstick guns for their female agents.

I noticed that XD gun had a backstrap safety in addition to the trigger safety. How did that feel, does it affect the draw in any way?

01-23-2018, 20:04 Post: 120248
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

That safety comes from the old 1911's style. It has a good feel and doesn't hinder your draw nor "not shoot" when you want it to.

01-24-2018, 20:36 Post: 120253
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Yoop: How reliable is the 1911A1 mil spec safetys? I am not sure I trust the safety enough to carry with a round in the chamber and hammer cocked just trusting the safety.

I have to use two hands Using the off hand with full thumb/web inserted between hammer and firing pin to decock, with any degree of safety comfort.

So far it is my intension to stick with weapons with exposed hammers for carry. That way I can hammer cock and fire "IF NECESSARY".

Just bought a full size 1911A1 it's not gonna be the concealed carry but it is gonna be the learn how to shoot semi auto.

(The Desert Eagle .44 is a little rough for learning skills, I'd never owned a semi auto B4 only single action revolvers. The DE is a fist full but I can shoot it fairly well, all 8 in a 3 foot circle at 25yds rapid fire).

I bought the DE to shoot at running coyotes, 50 to 100 yds. (I know a Bushmaster and a large mag might be better).

Me thinks the small Kimber .45acp will be the concealed carry of choice, but I'm not even close to that decision yet.

01-25-2018, 01:30 Post: 120254
jimbrown

I can't reccommend one handgun over the other but if you are buying this thing for self defense I recommend a revelover. My experience is that people buy the thing, fire a box or two probably less of ammo thru it and then put in a drawer and think they know how it works. I have had numerous people go to show me their neat 9mm auto and then when they pick it up not have a clue how the safety works or even if the there is round in the chamber. Revolvers solve most of this delima specially if they are double action. I would never reccomend any type of semi auto for any one not a devoute shooter or a professionl gun carrier. I really like M1911's and carried one everyday for three years of my life. I would rather have a seven round 45ACP than a 12 or 13 round 9mm anyday. My personal druthers. My home defense guns are remington 720 security 3in magnum loaded with triple ought and a M1911/ My keeps a winchester replica loaded with corbon plus one JHP in 45 long colt, and a colt replica in 44-40. I am a beliver that big bullets stop better than small ones.

01-25-2018, 06:25 Post: 120255
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Harvey:
You should get a Bushmaster to shoot at running coyotes with either 20 or 40 round magazine. You will need it to get one. They are elusive.

I don't own a 1911A1 cause it don't feel right to me. Also don't like the safety. The Springfield Armory on the other hand uses a combination of the Glock split trigger safety as well as the 1911 style requiring your hand to be gripping it. That gives me peace of mind.

Don't own one of them yet, but that is next. Don't need any more pistols but may sell off some of my duplicates.

I agree with jimbrown, if you do not shoot frequently, a revolver is best and get it in double action, but cock it first and shoot single action. Double action is when you are in trouble like if a Grizz is bearing down on you and you can't think fast enough.

I've always wanted a Desert Eagle but my hands aren't big enough.

01-25-2018, 11:19 Post: 120256
DenisS

Filter by User

The gun laws in NJ are such that I have to wait several months before they approve my gun license. In the mean-time I can make a final decision on what I want. I like the reliability of a revolver, but my concern is limited capacity. In combat situations only 1 out of 4 shots hits/stops the target, so if you have multiple intruders (like it happens in about half of the breakins) where does that leave you, if you're armed with a six-shooter? I could get an 8-shooter like S&W model 629, but I'd be sacrificing in caliber and they haven't proven as reliable as good ol' six guns.

Right now I'm considering S&W 4506 semi-auto or SIG P-220. They've proven themselves with many police departments. Hold 8+1 rounds of 45ACP. Good looking stainless steel guns. Should be enough to whack two intruders, if need be.

I am totally aware that I'd need to practice with this gun to make it a reliable weapon. The best way to do it is to make it a hobby to maintain your gun skills. I know exactly what you mean about folks not knowing how to operate their guns. I was at a friends house last night and he was showing me his SIG 9mm that he bought 4 years ago. He rocked the slide and then couldn't figure out how to de-cock the hammer. Probably that should not be his primary defense gun.

01-25-2018, 16:14 Post: 120257
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

In the wild west, gun slingers carried 2 revolvers according to TV anyway. On TV they never seem to need to reload unless they are in trouble. Dirty Harry was the only guy that could keep count.

In most states, you better be in actual danger before shooting someone, like only a few feet away with a real threat of danger. If there is more than one intruder, after the first shot is fired by you, he(she) will be gone. At about 16 ft. or less distance, one round should be enough. If you are firing 50-100 yards away at the other intruder that is running away and hit him in the back, you are in serious trouble.

Having your pistol equipped with a laser (crimson-trace or laserMax) is helpful in dark situations, since normally you don't need to fire since you will scare them away if they are not all drugged up and but coherent.

Mentioned before that I have the Sig 229 in .40S&W with LaserMax. Usually you can get more rounds in the pistol grip with the .40 S&W as compared to the .45 ACP with nearly the same punch.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page 1 | [ 2 ] | 3 |      << Prev | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Firearm Review Forum

Thread 120234 Filter by Poster:
DenisS 10 | harvey 2 | jimbrown 1 | yooperpete 11 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
DennisCTB

Field Dogs - Field Labrador Retriever Breeder Metro NJ PA area
Field Labrador Retriever Breeder Metro NJ PA area

Unanswered Questions

How do you determine Shotgun S
Best dog for Bird hunting
Best shotgun for Pheasant Hunt
How get a newbie to love Skee
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Field Labrador Retriever Breed
F/S Beretta 687 EL Gold Compet
Once fired Win. AA Hulls

Active Subjects

How do you determine Shotgun S
Welcome Nachoman Hasta Luego N
Importing sling shots to my co
Beretta 687 EL Gold
Winchester AA hulls for sale
HULLS HULLS HULLS
28 Gauge and .410 Winchester A
28 Gauge Winchester AA Hulls -

Hot Topics

How loud is subsonic .22 ammo?
guns for self defense
Winchester AA once fired 12 Ga
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Kubota's RTV
Golf cart, ATV or Gator type v
Using an ATV to plow snow
Youth Christmas Gift/Gun

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ guns for self defense
+ Youth Christmas Gift/Gun
+ Guns for self defense part Two
+ Ruger 357 Maximum
+ Travel Guns
+ Remington air rifle
+ Rifle Scope Selection
+ Springfield's New XDM 9mm
+ high capacity metal frame 45
+ Revolvers: SandW vs Ruger

Most Discussion

+ guns for self defense
+ Ruger 357 Maximum
+ Guns for self defense part Two
+ Youth Christmas Gift/Gun
+ Travel Guns
+ Rifle Scope Selection
+ Remington air rifle
+ Favorite scatter guns

Newest Topics

+ Springfield's New XDM 9mm
+ Ruger G100 DA revolver
+ Kimber TLE II: what d'ya say?
+ SIG X Five ALLROUND
+ Is P226 X-FIVE ALLROUND worth the money?
+ Bushnell Holosight
+ Remington air rifle
+ Rifle Scope Selection

Turbochargers for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Cab Glass for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Alternators for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Radiators for Tractors and Industrial Machines

Driveline Components for Tractors and Industrial Machines
Starter Motors for Tractors and Industrial Machines