discussion   |   photos   |   email   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Guns Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-04-2018, 17:01 Post: 121348
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
Location: Western NJ in the Kitatinny Mountains where the cows moo and the Corn grows
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
  RWS Model 34 Scoped Air Rifle Reviews

Has anyone used this air rifle, are there any others that are better in this price range ($230) ?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-05-2018, 02:50 Post: 121350
Gunsmith

Filter by User

I cannot recall using the model 34, but RWS makes good air rifles with a good muzzle velocity. The 34 is an older model and can be bought for less than $200. I looked at it on the net and I have probably shot that model before or one of its bigger brothers. I think this is a spring/piston design which is extremely reliable.

I would expect the RWS rifle to make single hole groups in paper at 10 yds. It will also do nicely if this relates to the Turkey Vulture posting. I would choose .22 caliber for the Vultures. Scope is a matter of preference. I personally prefer a scope or peep sights because my 50+ year old eyes don't like open sights anymore.

03-05-2018, 22:28 Post: 121354
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
Location: Western NJ in the Kitatinny Mountains where the cows moo and the Corn grows

Filter by User

Nice looking rifle

Picture Link
Guns: -RWS-Model-34-Scoped-Air-Rifle-Reviews

03-06-2018, 03:22 Post: 121355
yooperpete

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Going back to my original post. You should bait them, getting'em off the roof. If you shoot at them on the roof, you could miss and put a hole in the roof or have a round land at your neighbors or worse yet hit one of them.

You can then select the proper location to do your deed. If you have close neighbors particularly tree huggers, an air rifle is the weapon of choice. If they won't care, a .22 would work fine, but don't just wound it. It needs to drop on the spot.

I have a bolt action Savage with 3X scope shooting .22LR's that has good shot placement. I also have a New England Firearms single shot chambered in .17HMR with a Bushnell 3-9X scope. The .17HMR with plastic tipped bullets (Hornady or Winchester work best) has a shock/impact that is unbelievable. Stuff drops on the spot, no kicking or fluttering around and no blood trace. That was under $175.00. I'm also having problems with my eyesight but at 50 yards using a rest at 9X power, I can get 3 shot groups touching themselves.

Suggest digging the hole first, just in case if you have neighbors. If you don't shot regularly, they may come over and see what the commotion is about. Your story should be that it was a "sickly lookly" raccoon and you put him out of his misery. The deed can be done and covered (including the bait) in under a minute and a half.

03-06-2018, 08:17 Post: 121356
DennisCTB

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Yooper,

Yes I don't want to put a hole in the roof, and that was why I was looking at the airsoft plastic shot. But that does not have the range.

None of my neighbors can see my house clearly through the woods, nearest neighbors a thousand feet away. Though firing a shotgun ( the only gun I have) would get some notice out of them, questions etc., and I did not want to kill the birds, hence the pellet gun idea with a non lethal shot to hmmmm the butt! If that is possible? Is the pellet gun too strong for a non lethal shot? When I was thinking of shooting them on the roof I wanted them to be able to fly off the roof if I hit them.

I missed your point of baiting them before and that sure is a fine idea. But it would be just my luck that if I hit one of them on the ground, that they would just be able to fly up on my roof and die Wink yeah right That roof is too high and just not walkable by me 10/12 pitch.

I was just out cutting the lawn with the Kubota B7610 and they came in and landed to sun themselves, Diesel chatter did not scare them until I yelled and clapped my hands.

I also read that they not only urinate on your roof but they peck at the shingles and destroy them.

03-06-2018, 13:11 Post: 121357
Gunsmith

Filter by User

If you already have a shotgun, have you considered rubber buckshot? It will have the range and it should not kill them unless they are very close.

I use "bird bombs" that are kind of like a loud firecracker that is shot out of my shotgun. I have no idea if these are legal in your state.

03-06-2018, 23:00 Post: 121359
DRankin

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Dennis, I have owned both RWS barrel cocking/spring powered pellet shooters and the Benjamin 8-pump guns.

I much prefer the Benjamin type. I find the spring powered guns are not as accurate, mostly because of all the motion and inertia created when you trigger off that powerful spring.

As to the question of power, I routinely kill over-sized tough old jackrabbits with my .22 caliber Benjamin.

If you shoot a vulture with a pellet gun it will die sooner or later.

03-07-2018, 03:54 Post: 121360
Gunsmith

Filter by User

I agree about the accuracy of a spring powered gun. The spring powered guns have a funny recoil also as the spring action can tend to pull the stock out of your shoulder weld. But, I did use spring powered .177 target guns in college. They were purpose built for target shooting and were quite accurate.

I have a Benjamin gun like you describe that is nearly 40 years old. Other than a little oil on the pump leathers, it has required no maintenance. The finish is highly worn, but it is still fairly accurate.

Now I use an airgun from a Swedish company called FX. It is a precharged pneumatic gun pressurized from a scuba tank. It is more accurate than any other gun that I own and it will deliver .22 cal pellets at 28 ft lb muzzle energy. My particular gun will make a single ragged hole when fired from my shoulder at a 10 meter target. With good shot placement that will even kill a wild dog or coyote. I have made shots on these at 50 yds with success. But, with most of the precharged pneumatic guns we are getting out of the realm of most first time buyers. A good PCP pellet gun will run as much as a high powered rifle and will be higher in quality.

The Benjamin is a good choice for a first time buyer. I think Benjamin has been acquired by Sheridan so the same gun my be labeled Sheridan today.

03-07-2018, 13:43 Post: 121362
dgeesaman

I have an RWS 34. I use a Simmons scope on it and get good accuracy out to 40y. At 10y I get dime-sized groups consistently. The model 34/36 are about 13ft-lb guns in both .177 or .22 so they are only lethal on small critters (squirrel, starlings) at 30y or less. It would be pretty annoying to any turkey vulture. It's not loud - like hammering a nail is all. Mine has a muzzle brake that softens it more.

Like the others mentioned, it's a spring-powered gun so it's got some recoil that demands that you hold the gun very softly and consistently to get consistent shots. But it's got more punch than most pumpers and is a lot simpler/cheaper than a precharged pneumatic. Don't put a regular riflescope and mount on it unless you want to break it - these aren't heavy kickers at all but they recoil in two directions and destroy most rifle optics.

Check out my article on airguns in the link and you'll find compatible scopes at straightshooters dot com.

Link:   Intro to airgunning 

03-07-2018, 18:38 Post: 121363
Gunsmith

Filter by User

That is a nice article on airguns.
Good work!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Guns Forum

Thread 121348 Filter by Poster:
DennisCTB 3 | dgeesaman 1 | DRankin 1 | Gunsmith 4 | unit5alive 1 | yooperpete 1 |

(advanced search)

Unanswered Questions

How do you determine Shotgun S
Best dog for Bird hunting
Best shotgun for Pheasant Hunt
How get a newbie to love Skee
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Field Labrador Retriever Breed
F/S Beretta 687 EL Gold Compet
Once fired Win. AA Hulls

Active Subjects

How do you determine Shotgun S
Welcome Nachoman Hasta Luego N
Importing sling shots to my co
Beretta 687 EL Gold
Winchester AA hulls for sale
HULLS HULLS HULLS
28 Gauge and .410 Winchester A
28 Gauge Winchester AA Hulls -

Hot Topics

How loud is subsonic .22 ammo?
guns for self defense
Winchester AA once fired 12 Ga
12 gauge AA Hulls low price
Kubota's RTV
Golf cart, ATV or Gator type v
Using an ATV to plow snow
Youth Christmas Gift/Gun

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Turkey Vulture Nuisance
+ RWS Model 34 Scoped Air Rifle Reviews
+ Buying a Colt 1911
+ Gun Safe
+ Legacy Puma P92 lever action rifle in .454 Casull
+ Conceal and Carry
+ Beretta 687 EL Gold
+ Wood grips on GP-100 revolver
+ Browning Sweet Sixteen